Monday, October 5, 2009

greenjerks

more than once i have been walking down sunset, either to amoeba or borders, and have been stopped by the Greenpeace canvassers. i've canvassed before [servenext] and know how difficult it can be, so i do try and stop for others when i can. i've stopped at the greenpeace fellows before, only to be asked for a monthly donation, which i just cannot afford. i've offered them a one-time donation, and they refused. so you can't say i didn't try.

anyway. i try to steer clear of them now, because i know what they will ultimately ask of me at the end of their spiel, and i don't want to waste their time or mine.

so the other day i was walking out of amoeba when a greengirl tried to stop me. i kept walking and said i'd already spoken with someone the other day [she doesn't need to know it was at least six months ago]. she asked if i had signed up and, still walking, i informed her that no, i couldn't afford it. she said 'afford what?' and i said 'the money thing. i can't commit.' she looked at me like i was crazy and asked if i was sure i had spoken to greenpeace. she got me doubting myself and i told her that i could've sworn it was them, but perhaps i was wrong. she said, 'do you know what greenpeace is?' 'yes,' i answered. 'we don't ask for money!' so i told her i was in a rush and if she was super fast i would listen to her. she told me all about the whales and the rainforests, and then as she was turning to the last page in her info-binder she said 'and you're gonna hate me because i know i said i wasn't going to ask you for money, but, i am!'
"i KNEW i had talked to you guys before!" i was livid. EXCUSE ME?? i already told you i could NOT afford a monthly payment. you told me you were not going to ask me for money. so i stood there with you for a good 4 minutes. and then you tricked me. and you think that is going to change my mind? you think lying to me is going to further your cause? wtf. i told her i didn't have health insurance, i'm driving a death-trap of a car, and as much as i support her cause and would love to help out, i just CAN'T. she tried to buddy buddy me and tell me that she didn't have health insurance either, but that she budgets in $25 a month for GP and yada yada, but she didn't move me. she finally softened and said she understood [or maybe i just wanted her to say that.] and she left me running down the sidewalk to get to where i needed to be so urgently [home].

No comments: