Sunday, December 21, 2008

sfo

i woke up at 4:45 this morning to get to the airport for my 6:45am flight. luckily i flew out of burbank, so matt only had to drive about 20 minutes roundtrip on 3 hours of sleep as opposed to a lengthy 60 minutes or so, had i booked my flight out of lax [good on me for at LEAST considering that aspect of my travel plans]. thank you, boyfriend, for still loving me even after i scheduled my flight back east for such a god awful time. you're great. :)

since nobody flies out of burbank, i got there at 5:20, flew through security, and watched the minute hand go around the clock for an hour straight. it was excruciatingly painful. as well as dark. my flight to san francisco was a blur. i don't remember arriving here. i do, however, remember that i had an entire row to myself and that i wished i could have had that luxury all the way back to the east coast.

but at this point, just getting on a plane to the east coast would be nice.

upon arriving to this here san francisco airport at 8am, i found my gate for my 9:17 flight. super quick layover, no problemo. ok. delayed til 10:20. not too bad. 10:45. alright, alright..

"Attention, flyers [fliers?], we are currently looking for people with flexible schedules to New York who would be willing to give up their seat on this flight in exchange for a free roundtrip voucher good for anywhere in the continental United States good for the next year."

SWEET.

"how flexible?"
"we have a flight tomorrow morning at 7:42am."
"i'll get back to you."

10 minutes later. different representative.
"hi. could you give me some hotel information? i have no problem giving up my seat, i just have nowhere to stay tonight."
"well, let me see if i can get you on a flight tonight...ah, 10:20 red eye this evening, it would be business class. and i'll put you on standby for the rest of the flights out this afternoon."
"uhh..GREAT."

goodbye gate 80, hellooooo gate 81!
....goodbye gate 81, heyy there gate 83..
hmmm..at this point i realized that i wouldn't make it into new york until after 10:30 and as the last shuttle to grand central is at 11:10, i feared i wouldn't make it. last thing i want after 24 hours of travel is to be stuck in jfk until the morning.
so i just took myself off standby and currently have 8 hours and 14 minutes left until my flight.

my butt is numb, i have to pee, and i have bags the size of montana under my eyes.
ugh.

at least i'll get free [airplane] food.

No comments: