Wednesday, February 11, 2009

my name is jose! i am peruvian!

the homeless man i pass some mornings in front of the hollywood branch library on ivar has finally decided it is time to bring our relationship to the next level.

the first time he spoke to me was the week before christmas, when he wished me a merry christmas. since then, i've kept an eye out for him, though i know i'll never miss him - if he's around, he'll let me know. with a round, tan face, he's extremely friendly, always offering a wave or a 'hello! how are you this morning?'

this morning the front of the library was particularly crowded. the doors don't open until 10 am, so, strolling through at about 9:55, i am lucky enough to catch the group right before they head in every morning. i didn't see jose, but didn't think much of it [while there are a group of monday-friday regulars, jose seems to show up just about once or twice a week]. as i passed the book depositories, though, i heard a 'hey! hey!' and turned around to see jose waving, with a big smile plastered across his grubby face.

"how you doin today?"
"good, how are you?"
"good, thank you! where are you going? you going to work?"
:proceeds to walk down the block with me:
"yep!"
"my name is jose! i am peruvian!"
"ahh -"
"what is your name??"
"jessica."
"where are you from? where do you live here?"
"other side of the hill."
"ohh, you're from here originally?"
"no. i'm from new york."
"ah! new york! why did you move here?"
"the weather is so much nicer here!"
"you like the weather here?"
"yeah! new york's cold!"
"yeah, i used to live in new york. it can be rough. the weather can be real rough. well. my name is jose! you have a lovely, lovely day."
"thank you, you too. see you soon!"
:shakes hand and kisses it:
"have a wonderful morning, baby! peace!"

now, normally, when a somewhat grungy, scrappy man follows me down the street, i keep my head forward, my headphones on, and walk towards my destination as if my life depended on it. this may be somewhat prejudiced of me...it's just that it's unfamiliar - and, really, i would be just as likely to walk quickly away from a well-dressed, clean cut 40 year old skeez ball..so i suppose i'm not judging entirely on appearance or social status...i guess my reason for normally speed walking away from strangers is that they're just that - strangers. and anyone following me down the street whom i do not already know probably does not have the best intentions. so. anyhow. my point was..
i found my run in with jose to be quite endearing and i hope that others take a minute to talk to him, too.

No comments: