Thursday, February 19, 2009

friday the 13th

since i can remember, my friday the 13ths have always been really good days.
[knocked on my wooden coffee table]
and this one was no exception.

friday at work was alright - nothing special, but not a particularly horrible day, if i remember correctly. i was in a really great mood on my way home and was all smiles as i got on the subway. all of a sudden this delicious odor began wafting my way. it smelled like melons. i had no idea where it was coming from, but thought the man sitting in front of me might have been up to something when i saw him bent over and the people around him staring at him out of the corner of their eyes. a young man across the aisle from me reached over towards the busy man and returned with 2 sticks of incense in his hand. turns out the guy in front of me was selling his homemade incense. the young man bought a pack of the raspberry sticks, and i asked to smell them. $1/pack? hook me up! my room now smells absolutely delicious and so does my bag where the oil rubbed off. mmmm.

i emerged from the train station, a little bummed that my bus was not waiting for me as usual. a moment later, though, i saw a sleek looking hybrid bus pulling up. there are about 15 bus bays - this fancy bus couldn't be my ride, could it?? it came to a smooth and quiet stop right in front of me. i didn't even know they HAD hybrid buses in la. i'd never seen one before. i stepped on, way too excited for my own good, and took in the fresh smell of new car. MMM! the air on the bus smelled and felt great. i wish i could have ridden it to the end of the line.

as soon as the bus started rolling away, i began to text matt to tell him my good bus fortune. mid-text, he calls me. this always seems to happen. he had just finished an afternoon of hard mountain biking, and just missed a call from world's end management. i tell him to get off the phone with me and call them back! he calls a bit later to a. tell me he's got a meeting with world's end on wednesday [yay!] which means b. he won't be leaving for australia on valentine's day anymore - he's here til wednesday. [yay again!] i'm so stoked and i rush to target to get some card supplies. matt stops by while i'm out [figures] but it's alright, because i've got card-making to do.

i spend the evening doing arts and crafts and finally playing with my cat, asha. after a week and a half of being sick as a dog, she is a brand new kitty. she literally got better over night and i am thrilled. now if she'd just stop stepping all over my valentine material...

around 8:00 or so, my front door opens and i hear matt coming up the stairs. he shows up looking absolutely splendid, with a jacket and tie, bearing a single red rose, our favorite ice cream [with cones], and a homemade card. inside the card i find out that matt has bought us tickets to see paul mccartney at coachella in april. i am beyond touched, and congratulate him on winning the gift game. my poem and underwater camera are no match for paul. he cheated. nothing can compete with paul. i can't stop smiling. we leave soon after for indian. once again, we're one of the only people there. poor place. if they ever close i don't know what i will do. but i have NEVER ever ever seen this place packed. we give them so much business, though, so we're doing what we can.

we order way too much food [as usual] so that we have enough for lunch the next day. food is particularly delicious this evening. at one point during our conversation, in response to something or other, i say "yeah, but..." matt quickly points out that "yeah but lives in india!" we both freeze and, realizing our surroundings, quickly look around and burst into laughter. whoops.

after stuffing our faces with bombay chaat, kabuli naan, shahi paneer, mint chicken tikka, basmati rice, raita, and a yeti, we peace out and return home to our ice cream. we slurp our cones, lounge around in my room, and hit the hay.

who said friday the 13th was a day of bad luck?

No comments: